Oh My Blog is a monthly interview series, where fellow bloggers come together to answer a series of questions on a specific theme. This is a chance to get acquainted with a whole range of bloggers, some of whom you may not have heard of before, and learn a little more about them!
This month, the theme is Mums (because it’s Mother’s Day soon!) and we’re really excited to be hosting the lovely Sarah from Whimsical Mumblings.
1. Introduce us to your mum. What’s her name? What does she do? Reveal her age if you dare!
My mum’s name is Diane, she is an identical twin! She’s now a stay at home mum, taking care of my 3 younger siblings. Her birthday is on Mother’s Day this year actually, she’ll be turning..I want to say 53!
2. What’s one thing your mum always used to say to you?
My mum always puts others first. No matter what. Even when sometimes she should put her own needs first. She never ever will. She always said “Have a big heart. Be kind and put others first. Love selflessly and take care of others. ”
3. Someone’s playing your mum in a film, who is it and why?
Michelle Pfeiffer without a doubt. She has always reminded me of my mum for some reason! She’s very beautiful too, I think it’s the blonde hair & blue eyes!
4. She’s won the lottery, what’s the first thing your mum buys for herself?
A new house! Definitely. We’ve always said if she wins the lottery she’ll buy herself a house, and then buy me a house, and I’d do the same if I won!
5. What embarrassing story about you does she always tell when you meet new people?
Honestly, I can’t think of any! There’s got to be some, but I just can’t think. She’s the embarrassing one! Haha. In a good way of course.
6. What are your plans for Mother’s Day this year?
Now I’ve got a bit older, I tend to spend Mother’s Day with my children instead. But she’s got my 3 siblings there to spoil her! I’m planning on getting some flowers delivered to her though!
7. What’s her favourite TV show at the moment?
She loves her soaps. Always has! She’s gone off Eastenders at the moment, but I know she loves to watch Emmerdale and Coronation Street!
8. What’s the biggest or most important thing that your mum has inspired you to do?
Be a good mum! She showed me how, and taught me that you can be whatever you want to be. One more thing my mum always says, and I will always remember. Some people grow up wanting to be teachers, lawyers, doctors, vets. My mum wanted to be a mum. “The best thing I ever did was become a mum” .
9. Your round at the bar! What’s your mum drinking?
If she’s not drinking alcohol, it’ll be something like orange juice and lemonade. Otherwise it’s probably wine!
10. What’s the biggest difference between you and your mum?
There’s not really a lot if I’m honest! We’re very similar. Only silly unimportant things like, she has blonde hair, I have dark hair. She’s a bookworm, where as I’m a movie lover. If there’s a movie based on a book, you can guarantee she’ll read the book and I’ll watch the movie!
11. Most important question of the lot. What’s your mum’s stance on 50 Shades Of Grey? Does she love it? Hate it? Not even know what it is?
I’m pretty sure she’s aware of what it is. I know she’s never read it or watched it though!
She’s told me she would never want to in a million years!
12. What’s your favourite memory of your mum?
I have this one lovely memory from when I was really little. I must have only been about 5, it was before my siblings were born. There was this little park near my nans house with a huge slide. (I say huge, it probably wasn’t, I was just tiny!). We used to play “Billy Goats Gruff” and I’d be each of the goats going down the slide (crossing the bridge) and she’d be the troll who had to try and catch me!
13. What do you think your mum was like as a kid?
Very much a combination of me and my brother. Kept to herself, quiet but not shy. Lots of good friends around her. Had her own individual hobbies. All I know is she had some amazing clothes, and amazing hairstyles! (Think Baby from Dirty Dancing, that sort of hair!)
14. Cast your mind back a bit. What was the thing you did as a child or teenager that made your mum the angriest she has ever been with you?
Truthfully, I don’t remember my mum ever getting really angry at me! It’s not because I wasn’t naughty, who wasn’t, but she just wasn’t an angry person. I know I locked myself in bathrooms a lot, and flooded them! As a teenager I always used to fight with her partner though, and that made her pretty mad!
15. Finally, what’s the best piece of advice your mum ever gave to you?
She wasn’t really one for actually ‘giving advice’ more showing you the way. She taught me you can never give too many kisses and cuddles, and you can never tell your children you love them too much. I have definitely taken on this advice, and I kiss & cuddle, and tell my little ones I love them a million times a day. They’ve become such loving affectionate human beings.
If you enjoyed this post, you should check out Sarah’s blog and social media.